At a glance
Location: Isla Bank
Herd Size: Approx. 650 Dairy Cows
Farm Size: 480ha
Herd Breakdown: 650 Holstein Friesians
- Increase the efficiency of Identifying cows on heat.
- Improve conception rates and retain cows wherever possible.
- Achieve a better work-life balance without placing more pressure on their team or having a negative effect on their production.
- Improved breeding window accuracy.
- Ability to tighten up the calving pattern.
- Valuable health information for cows suffering from mastitis.
- Removal of tail paint, scratches and bulls from the operation.
- Reduced empty rates.
- Lifestyle – manage mating plan remotely.
- Improved sexed semen conception rates.
Cathy and Owen run spilt-calving, on their Southland dairy farm. Their 650 Holstein Fresians allow them to supply Fonterra year-round. However, it also means they are calving for a total of 20 weeks a year and traditionally spent a lot on heat detection aids – such as tail paint or scratch off patches.