At a glance
Location: Pohuetai Farms, Easy of Dannervirke
2174ha (1970ha effective) breeding, finishing and trading property
- Building a detailed profile of the flock.
- Being able to identify more efficient sheep.
- Availability of information makes life easier.
- Helps keep track of parentage and which lambs have been vaccinated.
- Identify lighter animals and feed them accordingly.
- Identify which ewes consistently produce singles.
The business is 2174ha (1970ha effective) breeding, finishing and trading property on Otope Road, East of Dannervirke. It has been owned by the Knight family for 135 years. As well as carrying 528 R1 bulls, 503 R2 bulls and 106 R1 and R2 Angus heifers, the farm has an almost 14,000 strong sheep flock; 5300 Highlander ewes are put to Highlander rams and 4200 to terminal rams, plus 2800 ewes hoggets are put to terminal Primera rams.