At a glance
Fraser and Shelley Avery
Location: Bonavaree, South of Blenheim
2500 hectares, 3500 mixed age ewes and
- Tracking abortion in hoggets late pregnancy.
- Tracking incremental changes
- Monitoring individual and small mob performance
- Linking carcase data to genetics
- Effectively record and track ewe weight, grazing management and fertility history
Fraser Avery is a steadfast advocate for on farm monitoring. He is prepared to spend a bit of money on it, even when the benefits are not immediately obvious at the start.
At Bonavaree, climate monitoring stations have been installed with a view to finding out more around climate, soils and production. Although Bonavaree has exceptional ewe flock performance, Fraser sees room to do better. Having a large ewe flock of 3500 mixed age ewes and 1020 two-tooths, means that any changes, no matter how small, can make a big difference to the bottom line.