At a glance
Simon Maling and Lucy Annan
Location: Lindis Peaks Station
7000 merino ewes, 7,000-8,000 hoggets, 150 beef cows, 1000 trading cattle/dairy grazing, 2,500 ha
- Getting as much wool as possible into the top line of merino fleece wool.
- Knowing when ewe condition score is decreasing.
- Driving lamb survival rates.
- Exploring new genetics and drive breeding in the direction they want to go.
- Easy to type-class sheep and assign them to mating mobs.
- Confidence in introducing new bloodlines.
The property has been farmed by four generations of the Annan family since 1910 and has been a supplier of fine wool to the Icebreaker brand since it was established in 1995. Today the farm is run by Simon Maling and Lucy Annan. Merino wool remains the main focus of the business with the majority of its clip still contracted to Icebreaker. Simon, a former Highlanders and All Blacks representative, says the farm is using new technology to explore new Merino genetics and drive breeding in the direction they want to go.