At a glance
Ryan Teutenberg, Hinenui Genetics
Stock: ewes 2000 recorded, 250 unrecorded, ewe hoggets 1300 recorded, ram hoggets 1100, cows 275, heifers 113 R2, 116 R1, steers 110 R2, 116 R1
HDX lightweight button paired with Tissue Sampling Unit.
- Manually reading brass ear tags is challenging.
- Can’t rely on harnesses.
- Tissue sampling is significantly easier than blood cards. Can dock 700 per day as opposed to 250.
- Single sire mating, so parentage is easy to identify.
- Minimise disruption at lambing. A daily ride to check for cast ewes is all that’s required.
- Extra data improves selection accuracy for clients.
Henenui Genetics is based on the North Island’s Easy Coast and operates the country’s largest Coopworth recorded flock plus a smaller Romney recorded flock. Both flocks are renowned for producing highly facial eczema tolerant, high growth rate rams. The business is a family affair. Day-to-day management of their Muriwai property, south down the coast from Gisborne, is in the hands of Ryan Teutenberg, son of Brett and Lucy. Ryan’s sister Deanna and her husband Phil Cook run Hinenui’s other property at Rere, further inland.